Language Arts Lessons

When I was in junior high and high school, I had some really great “English” teachers (as we called them). Some of them are still doing that great job today even after retirement from the school system I attended. I owe 99% of my writing ability to those people with the other 1% going to my college professors. It’s important to learn these skills early, and those folks did a great job. They know who they are. My memory has failed me on some writing rules over the years, but I know who I can go ask when the time comes. I thought this site might help Language Arts teachers. It has lots of lesson plans on various topics.

Daily Grammar

The page is no longer updated, but the archive is still available of all the lessons that were originally posted.

Math Tricks

Anybody that knows me knows I’m horrible in math. But then, most people don’t even know who I am on this blog so what does it matter??? LOL

Anyway, I found this really cool math trick that I thought I might pass along, because even I could do it!! I took this from Curious Math and if I can do it anyone can. It was posted by a person named kayer35.

Got 5 minutes to spare? That’s all the time you need to learn how to quickly multiply two numbers from 11 to 19 in your head.

With this trick, you will be able to multiply any two numbers from 11 to 19 in your head quickly, without the use of a calculator.
I will assume that you know your multiplication table reasonably well up to 10×10.

Lets try 15 x 13.

1. Always place the larger number of the two on top in your mind.

2. Then draw the shape of Africa mentally so it covers the 15 and the 3 from the 13 below. Those covered numbers are all you need.

3. Now add 15 + 3 = 18

4. Add a zero behind it (i.e., multiply by 10) to get 180.

5. Multiply the covered lower 3 by the single digit above it, in this case the “5” (3 x 5 = 15)

6. Add the products from steps 5 and 6 to get your answer. 180 + 15 = 195.

That’s it! Wasn’t that easy? Practice it on paper first!

Wi-Fi Woes

This post from C-Net has some really great wireless networking advice.

Image from

Is the earth elastic?

Is the Earth elastic? by ZDNet‘s Roland Piquepaille — Scientists from Brazil and the U.S. think so. In a surprising discovery, they’ve found that a GPS station in Manaus, near the center of the Amazon River basin, showed that the Earth level was going up and down by almost 3 inches (75 mm) every year with the seasonal floods of the big river. In […]

It’s Fall!

www.freefoto.comDon’t you just love this time of year? The leaves are beginning to turn a little, and the evenings are getting a little cooler. However, in this part of the country the leaves just turn brown and die. We don’t get the pretty reds and yellows like some parts of the country. It’s always dry here until they pretty much fall off the trees. Anyway, this pic says it all.

(Image from

Did you know that October 15th is National Grouch Day as well as National Poetry Day? Go here to see a calendar of all kinds of events for the month of October.

Websites for Teachers

I’ve had a teacher or two ask me for some Websites for their classrooms. I hope the following sites help a little bit. Just click and drag your mouse over the link and copy and paste it into your browser address bar.

Middle School



Language Arts